1440 Foundation’s Guiding Principles
To build strong relationships, forge powerful agreements, and co-create effective action, 1440 Foundation operates by the following principles in all its activities and with all its partners:
- Our commitment to embody authentic relationships is the cornerstone of all our collaborations, and the heartbeat of the communities we seek to build and serve in the world.
- We understand that healthy relationships begin within ourselves. As such, we support the inner development – the reflection, self-awareness and self-knowledge that is cultivated through contemplative practices – that necessarily precedes offering ourselves to others and to the world. We utilize these practices in our personal lives, professional activities, and organizational practices.
- We believe in the power of open, honest, transparent dialogue as the basis for authentic relationships. We begin by listening deeply and speaking from the heart.
- We believe in the power of community to do more than any of us could accomplish alone. Community supports our growth as individuals while also fostering our natural intention toward compassion – to care for others as we care for ourselves.
- We leverage our resources by investing in inspiring and innovative leaders with thoughtful plans.
- We apply our energy to promote operational effectiveness and sustainability, in a co-creative spirit of support and encouragement.
- We accept that risk is required in pursuit of discovery and innovation, and that mistakes can be among our most valuable accomplishments.
- We understand that our vision will take significant time to accomplish and that we must undertake our mission systematically and with long-term commitment.
Our belief at 1440 is that it’s time to connect – with ourselves, with each other, and with our potential – and to live with the richness that we all have the power to choose.